Sunday, January 10, 2010

Disappointment

Working in healthcare, I am always faced with disappointment. My patient's test did not go well; my patient is not working hard enough at home; my patient is just not strong enough; the healthcare system is broken and my patient pays the price. The list goes on and on.

Sometimes, disappointment is easy to brush off. It is a sad fact, but all too true. This past week, I had several disappointing situations. The most disappointing of all was that my coma patient got rejected by a brain injury rehabilitation facility.

He had a heart transplant, one of the grafts failed, he suffered an anoxic brain injury, they repaired the graft, he didn't wake up, he developed a non-healing sternal wound, he went to an LTAC and got no cognitive therapy, he came to our LTAC and I did the best I could with him, he was evaluated by a brain injury rehabilitation facility, he was denied because of his poor prognosis and length of time since injury (3 months), he will go to a nursing home with no therapy, he will ROT!

This is the broken healthcare system. I know it is broken, but my coma patient makes it all the more real. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. And the worst part of all of it.....he has a brand new donor heart.

(Sorry for the depressing post...remember, I blog for myself as a personal record. Thanks for reading!)

No comments: