Saturday, September 3, 2011

Love what you look like...not right now....

I'm having a rough time lately...

I had a conversation with one of my patients last week that went a little like this:
Mr. G: "Emily, are you expecting?"
Me: "No, Mr. G, not yet."
Mr. G: "Oh, just getting fat?"

Not kidding. So rude. But unfortunately, it's true. I've put on some significant weight and I'm pretty depressed about it. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Thankfully, I have a pretty proactive doctor who is open to my ideas and doesn't think my research is crap. Unfortunately, what my research has revealed to me is that I have a more difficult condition to treat. I suspect adrenal fatigue and/or thyroid resistance. When we return from vacation, I'll undergo further testing to confirm.

If you know anything about hypothyroidism, it comes with a slew of crummy side effects. Constant fatigue, temperature swings, infertility, weight gain, etc. just to name a few. I used to get something out of going to the gym - not anymore. Now, I can hardly finish a 60 minute class and don't feel energized at all.

If you have experience with hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, or thyroid resistance, I'd love to hear from you and how you've coped. I could sure use someone familiar with all this right now...

1 comment:

sarahsmile3 said...

I don't have experience with any of those but have experience with weight gain! I gained 20lbs after my surgery. It sucks. I'm having a hard time losing it...probably because I continue to eat cookies.

Seriously though, I am sorry about your condition. I'll pray that you find the easiest path along your road to recovery.