Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Plan Worth Making

Hopefully my renewed desire to blog lasts longer than a week this time!

I have so many plans for my life - plans my best friend would probably say I can't make. Remember, the only one with real plans is God. I've planned so much in my short life and am only now realizing that some of my plans were not laid well.

I have a new patient. Well, not really new to me, but new to my blog.

My patient has ALS and I helped him discover his diagnosis. He is young -too young. He has a daughter my age. He is going to die - very quickly, in fact. But he is so full of life.

I don't really have too much to say about my patient. His is a complicated story that ended in a shocking diagnosis. I want to write about him here because I want to remember him. Though I don't think you could ever forget a man like my patient.

Though my patient is going to die, his one desire, and current plan, is to get his daughter some things from Disneyland Paris, where I happen to be going in a few weeks, and surprise her for Christmas. Now, it would be so much easier to just order something on-line,, but that wouldn't be authentic. He devised this intricate plan of how I could get some things for his daughter, pack them up so I don't have to drag them all over Europe, and send them back to the states. He's thought of all the details - all the way down to finding the FedEx drop box for me to take the treasures to in Paris.

Of all the things he could be planning, this is the most important. I hope I can help him with his plan - it sounds like one God would agree with. My patient doesn't know this, but he has taught me so much already about planning - how the best laid plans never work and how the most out-of-reach things are worth planning for.

No comments: