Monday, February 23, 2009

The Length of Lent...

As the liturgical season of Lent is quickly approaching, I am reminded of a funny story.

But first, a little background. Growing up, I was blessed with a strong (not radical) religious education. I went to Catholic school for three years and had parents who taught our religious education classes in addition to educating us in our faith at home. Attending religious education classes all throughout primary school was never really a chore and I feel very blessed to have parents who made faith education a priority. I believe it was my strong religious education base that made keeping my faith throughout college much easier, and for this I am very grateful.

So, when my mom asked me to teach religious education with her at our church last year, I agreed. Now, last year we had a very smart and outgoing group of 4th grade girls and all of our lessons were relatively easy to teach and explain. This year, however, it's taking a lot more effort and repetition for the information to sink in, which makes for some pretty funny stories.

Case in point:

A few weeks ago, we were studying the liturgical seasons of the church. We have a very active group of girls this year, one of which loves to answer every question, even though she rarely has the answer. I'll call this little girl Holly.

Me: Alright, who knows what the next liturgical season is?
Holly (jumping out of her chair): I do I do!!!
Me: Ok, Holly, what is the next liturgical season?
Holly (obviously reading from the book): LENT!
Me: Good! Ok, now, tell me about lent.
Holly: Um, I don't know....
Me: Ok, how long is lent?
Holly: 6 days!!!
Me: No. Lent is 40 days long. Can you tell me why lent is 40 days long?
Holly: Um, I don't know....
Me: Ok, Lent is 40 days long because that's how long Jesus was in the.....
Holly: WAR!

Now, I know I shouldn't laugh when they get a question wrong, but this one was just too funny and both my mom and I busted out laughing! At least Holly's enthusiastic!

No comments: