Saturday, March 27, 2010

It's all just trial and error...

I'm at a Head and Neck Cancer convention this weekend in Houston and I've quickly come to the realization that a whole lot of what we (SLPs) do is trial and error, especially in the head and neck cancer population. Granted, I am learning a lot, but I am also learning that I've been doing a really good job at teaching myself how to treat these patients (not to toot my own horn, mind you).

I think that, even more important than the material you are taught, if you are taught how to find information you can figure out how to treat almost any patient population. Now, what I'm saying isn't rocket science or a brand new theory, but I think that people should know that it can be done with the information you already have.

Ok, I know this doesn't have much content, but for all my SLP readers (yes, I know I only have a few), I think you should know that you've got what it takes to help your patients even if you think you don't.

No comments: