Sunday, March 21, 2010

I just can't seem to find the words...

I just can't seem to find the words these days to Blog about my work experiences. Whenever I see my patients I'm always thinking "I need to blog about this." but then never do. I need to start back up; it's good for me, it's good for my mind, and I really do enjoy it. So, enough with the pep talk and on to business.

I have been seeing a certain patient for quite a long time now. He has been hospitalized since January and currently resides in our LTAC. This man celebrated his 84th birthday in a hospital bed, which he will probably never leave. I think the one thing that makes treating this man so hard is that his mind is still so sharp. He is up to date on current events and has the quickest, funniest, wit.

I have been treating this man's dysphagia since he entered the hospital for a ruptured appendix (I know, weird combination - appendicitis and dysphagia). But, he has not gotten even the slightest bit better. I have been using VitalStim therapy on him and just recently forced myself to stop. He is still on a feeding tube and cannot take even the smallest bit of PO intake without sounding like a gurgle fish tank. IT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD! I love this little man and I cannot help him.

The other day, I had to have "the talk" with him. It's the talk that I am so good at giving but is truly terrible to give. It's the "your swallowing will never get better so you can now choose to eat and die or never eat again and live" talk. HATE IT! Anyway, my little man made it so hard to give that talk; his mind so clear and his wit so fast. And do you know what he said to me when I finished that talk? "So, should I call you the Obama death squad?!?"

Now that I cannot keep treating this man, I can barely stand to walk past his room. I know that if I enter just to say "hi" he'll ask when we're starting therapy again. I know I should go in, but it is just so hard. What do you do when you know you can't help someone?

No comments: